Sunday, October 24

Colours of Fall

~from today's hike~


Up the hill I am striding- I push on with all
The true, undying drive of a person who knows
That a mere byward glance at the colours of fall
Would give far more delightful a vista to those
Who will bypass the grand for the small.

A squirrel is sprinting, but pauses to peer
As my dog and I make our way into the clear.
He chitters and chirps and condemns our trespassing
But as we move on he goes back to his stashing
The nourishing seeds he will need to survive
When winter sets in; they will keep him alive.

The bird as it flits across the sky
And the deer interrupting its grazing to spy
Are my guardians here, in this aura of ease
While I wander along, pushing into the breeze
And the dog firmly pulls me ahead, for she sees
Yet another new friend to make, off in the trees.

There is much to be seen- more than words can recall.
From the trickling stream to the last dangling leaf
God's creation is beckoning me now to stall
All my hustle and hurry; I'll take the relief
And I'll bypass the grand for the small.

No comments:

Post a Comment